Saturday, June 1, 2013

Greatness is never given. You earn it!

GOLF IN FLORIDA
By Jock MacKenzie

GREATNESS IS NEVER GIVEN. YOU EARN IT
 Well into that theory is a golfer from Boynton Beach, FL who shoots his age routinely at 84! Bob Harris, according to the New York Times, has shot his age 893 times, an achievement he attributes partly to a rigorous exercise program. And my good gosh, I’ve been deservedly bragging about the golfer from Portland, Maine who shot into the 90’s even when reaching the count of 99!

We have our own golf star here in Palm Coast, FL with a population of 77,000 people and still growing in leaps and bounds. His name is Dick Perlman who has reached the age of high nineties while playing at the Grand Clubs Pine Lakes course with his wife Helen, who, by the way, is an attributed Golf Hall of Famer and swings the club as sweet as the best to hit the links, male or female. But most importantly, she is terrifically a nice person and all who have the good fortune of meeting her will tell you that in a heart beat. She’s a whiz at this game of golf and shows that quality every time out. That and other data provides the opportunity for me to shout the importance of women in golf. The numbers are growing in leaps and bounds and that’s reason one why golf course owners are shouting with glee. Right now women golfers in the membership are as important to them as good golfers will always be.
For example, me and my team partners stood by as we swung for pretty good distance only to view this lady going past us like a hot ride runner at the Daytona races.
So, no matter where you are – here in Florida, anywhere in New England, of course in California and wherever you care to name – you’ll find women a merging factor in this game of golf.


AS A RADIO BROADCASTER COVERING GOLF
 I’ll always remember as a radio broadcaster the assignment of covering a women’s tournament in the Keene, NH area. Most took the golf play of women in the Tournament as an also ran. But when I watched and broadcast the talent of these competitors, I was struck with admiration, and correctly so.
Another not so welcome affair was a 3-day tournament at a beautiful course in Dover, NH, one titled to this day as Cochecho Country Club.
I rushed to my radio station microphone to proclaim the victors. What I told the audience was by a man and his son, the latter lugging his Dad’s bag, after they came out of nowhere to win the Tournament despite a talented class field of golfers.
About four days later I received this well written letter from the winner saying he appreciated the publicity we gave them. “Just one problem he added, the “son” was my daughter! See, even a so called radio star is embarrassed.Frankly said, while playing the game I love so much at the popular Pine Golf layout, I would stop in awe at the ability and beautiful swings of ladies approaching the green. Frankly said, these ladies can play this game and play it well. So, the more of you of female persuasion who appear to play this wonderful game of golf the better every one of us is going to be. So, come on in ladies, we need more Helen Perlman’s and Deb Crowley’s wherever you are, from all of Florida, to New England, California, Texas and every State in this union.


RETURNING HOME FROM WAR
As I look back, at the age of 30 and returned from constant combat in the Pacific Theatre of War, I was asked to accept a free membership at a local and very popular golf course near a small town named Shelburne. I said no. I knew this came about because I was a radio sports broadcaster and this is what played in part a reason for the request.
Still, it was a stupid response on my part and I regret it to this day. Just think, in stead of being a sad hacker out on the green now I possibly could have become half way decent at golf and maybe even one of the top shooters.
So if someone asks you – male or female – to join their golf club as a member, jump at the offer so fast your shoes will tingle proudly every day of your life. Or, who knows, maybe like the golfer from Boynton Beach, you might shoot your age to a count of 84 at least 893 times!
GRAND RESERVE
Smooth as glass is a popular term but I really don’t know how else to describe this golf course. You could play it every day of the week and it would still be a great golf course, one you would marvel at consistently and day by day.
And, yes, it gets a lot of play, like women’s leagues on Monday and Friday, men on Wednesday and the rest a wonderful place to enjoy.
Mike Pullen, a master at making this golf course and others up and down the east coast better than most, is the Alabama graduate who has a very special touch for the benefit of we who love to play golf.
Yes, it’s a bit easier to score but what’s so wrong about that? Isn’t it fun to go out with clubs in hand and whack the little white or orange pill for a delightful ride, to shoot a game of 95 rather than a hundred?
Go try it. Grand Reserve is located just off Route 1 in the Palm Coast area and a short distance from the town of Bunnell.
One thing I know for sure. Go play it and the words I’ve just written will be yours to enjoy the week long.


GRAND HAVEN
Jack Nicklaus built this marvelous golf course on the river side of Palm Coast many years ago when ITT was in charge. There have been a couple of new ownerships since then but for some reason the quality of this golfing marvel just seems to get better and better.
Yes, it is private with a marvelous membership of the nicest people I will ever know in my life. After you meet members like Walt McRae, Hawley Rogers and Rick McArdle, just to name a few, you also will have the same impression.
McArdle, by the way, not only wrapped up another Club Championship this year, but he finds time to go to the schools and help their golf teams to be better. His son in law, by the way, is Ty Capps, the Nebraskan who is determined to make his mark as a full-fledged member of the every week golf tour.
One other thing about Grand Haven Golf Course: Watching Dane Winger and his golf lessons had me spellbound on the practice tee one day.
His tutoring was so impressive next to me that I forgot the golf balls in the pail at my feet and watched – without his knowing – every word he spoke and every movement he told the lady student what to do and what not to do. I’ve never had something like that happen before, my mouth shut in awe, my body frozen and the purpose of my reason there to hit golf balls before playing. Still, these were beautiful moments and I’ll not soon for get them even though the teacher prefers his name not be used. Hopefully, this one time I might be forgiven.
But I know I’ll never again have the honor of consistently viewing an expert at work, one who is absolutely the best in Florida golf and probably far beyond.


A COUPLE OF FREE MOMENTS
Many years ago in the mountains of Berlin, NH I was induced week after week to join a friend named Leo Cloutier for a baseball game. As I look back, it was probably the nicest thing to happen for me.
Cloutier was a sports writer for a local paper then went up the ladder to cover the game in top notch style.
From that, my pal Leo became the best friend of Ted Williams, the most talented baseball player I’ve seen in life, then and now. When Williams was given a special day at Fenway Park a brand new car was part of the many gifts. This famous baseball player then turned around to my friend Leo and gave him outright the auto he was driving at that time. That gives you the idea of how close in life the pair was.
Anyhow, whenever Leo wrote about Williams or anyone and everything else to be written he always closed with these words: “With malice towards none!” And that’s what I do for you now.

Come on down to Florida and enjoy the game of golf like no other – the sport of Pine Lakes, Cypress Knoll, Grand Haven, Grand Reserve or the golf courses near the ocean, Hammock Dunes, Coventry and more. Life in this part of Florida is special for us. So it will be for you. Try me out and see for yourself.
And as Leo might say: “Thanks for listening!”

No comments:

Post a Comment